The Cornerstone Pulpit

Offering edited sermons from the pulpit of Cornerstone Baptist Church in Enid, Oklahoma.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Why Are You Standing There??

Ascension Sunday

Acts 1:1-11

Last week we ended our discussion with Jesus’ statement from John’s gospel. I won’t quote all of it, but toward the end of the passage, Jesus said: “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me, but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.”

I also want to remind us that a part of our discussion centered on the idea that we may have been asking the wrong question when we question the humanity of Jesus. Rather than being wrapped up in discussion about the humanity of Christ, John suggested that we ought to be concerned with the question of our obedience to the commands of God and the manner in which we live out our lives of faith.

In contemporary Christianity, just the same as in the days of Jesus and the subsequent days of the early church, we tend to ask the wrong questions. I don’t mean that in the sense that God is repelled or bothered or offended by our questions. God loves for us to ask questions. A faith which isn’t shaken up from time to time isn’t much of a faith. Faith should be a vibrant, challenging, occasionally rocky experience of the followers of Jesus. All of us experience challenges to our faith from time to time, and that’s more than okay – it’s to be expected. It’s okay to ask questions. But we tend to ask the wrong questions – in the sense that we often miss the point that God is trying to make in our lives. It’s like the old boy that asked whether he should tithe on the gross or the net of his income – he’s missed the point. God calls us to return something of what God has first given to us – and if you don’t think that God has given you all that you hold possession over at this point in time, we need to move on to the discussion about personal arrogance. By the way, the answer to the “gross or net” question is this – it depends on whether you want a “gross” blessing or a “net” blessing.

In our account from the Acts this morning, we find that the disciples had again asked the wrong question. Having seen the power of Jesus in His resurrection, and having walked with Him for 40 days following His resurrection, they asked,
“Lord, is this the time when you will restore the kingdom to Israel?”

Let me translate for you. “Jesus, is this when you’re going to overthrow these Roman invaders? Is this when you are going to give us what you’ve promised – places at your right and left hand, so that we can help you rule the universe? You know, Jesus – it’s a big universe, and you’re going to need a lot of help to rule things. Is this when we are going to get what’s coming to us, and we get to help you rule the universe – or at least our little corner of it?

Twenty centuries later, I chuckle. I chuckle to listen to the absurdity of their question. You may think that I’m being a little calloused or derogatory with what I just said – but believe me – I think that I more than fairly state the way the disciples and Israel of that day saw themselves – as the chosen of God. That absurdity continues to this day. Jesus begins the answer to their question, and years later, Paul continues to develop the theological picture that Israel was always intended to serve as a seed bed for the evangelization of the world – that the purpose of Israel – the chosenness of Israel – was not because they were some kind of special kind of folks. No, they were chosen and called to be the seed bed from which the entire world would be evangelized. They were chosen for purpose, not privilege. They were the first to be chosen.

Jesus answers their question rather straightforwardly. “It is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority.” “Buzzzzz!! Thanks for playing!! Wrong question – again!! This thing that I’m about to do – it isn’t about you, our your rewards or what you get out of the deal. It’s about me. And it’s about all the people that I want to touch with my message of redemption.”

We’re good at asking the wrong questions. Last week we centered our initial questions around the humanity of Christ. Wouldn’t that make things easier for us if Jesus were truly human. Bzzzzzz! Wrong question!! The question of the day wasn’t about the humanity of Christ, but about our obedience to the commands of Christ. We were asking the wrong question. Here, the disciples are asking about God’s plan to restore the kingdom to Israel – whatever that meant in their thinking. We can only imagine. But it was the wrong question. Besides, only the Father knows – Jesus says in another passage that even He didn’t know – and the Father isn’t talking about that right now. It’s up to God – it’s not our business.

“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Now, that’s the question. What do we do next? How can we help you out, Jesus, with whatever it is that you’re going to do next? What small, seemingly insignificant role can we play in your grand plan?

Allow me to tell the story of how this sermon evolved as an illustration of how easily we can ask the wrong question. When I first read this passage this week, I marveled again at this verse 8 – “You shall be my witnesses.” I’ll bet I’ve heard a hundred sermons on this passage over the years. Every one of them said the same thing – “You are going to figure out how to tap into my power, and then I want you to get our there and sell, sell, sell. You’re going to be my witnesses – and then later, some of you are going to be up for “witness of the year.” Several of you are going to excel to the point that you will be called into the ministry, and a few lucky few of you will be listed in the “Witnesses Hall of Fame” for all the work you are going to do. Your picture’s gonna be up there, right next to Billy Graham’s. Yes sirree, you’re gonna be something.”

I just knew that’s what this passage was saying. Just to confirm my thinking, I pulled out my greek study tools. You know that I get a little dangerous when that happens. I looked at this passage, and discovered two really interesting words. “dynamo” is the word for power. “Pow.” Power – it makes sense. Then the word for “witness” – you shall be my “witnesses” – is the word “martyr.” Wow. You and I are going to get enough power to do the work of martyrs. That’s the stuff of good sermons, now, I’ll tell you. Heaping coals of fire on their heads.

I needed confirmation, so I called my two local greek experts to have them talk to me about the voice structure of a couple of phrases in this sentence – “You shall receive power” and “you shall be my witnesses.” I just knew that these were imperative statements – something like a command. That would confirm the way I’d heard this passage preached and taught all my life. “You’re gonna get the power, and then you gotta get out there and witness, witness, witness.” Imperative. Command. Duty. Your calling.

Boy, was I wrong. My greek experts both said the same thing – this comes from the passive voice, and both are future in their orientation. That’s “greek scholar talk” for saying that the first phrase emphasizes the action of the one giving out the power, not the one receiving it, while the second phrase isn’t an imperative – a command – rather it is indicative – it indicates what things are going to look like in the future.

I thought about that for a while. I so wanted this to be a command – an imperative. But it isn’t – rather, it’s a statement of reality in the future – an indicative statement. It’s actually much stronger than a promise – it says that our very definition as “christians” will be that we will be “proclaimers of the truth.” Later in the book of Acts, Luke reminds us that it was first at Antioch that the followers of Jesus were called “christians.” Little “c.” Little Christs. It was actually first a derogatory term – “Who do these little “christs” think they are – telling His story like that. What are they – “christians?”

You and I live again in a world where the name “Christian” isn’t a term of approval. In much of our world – even in our own country – it has become a derisive term. “Who does she think she is – a “Christian.” People almost say it with a jeer as they make fun of our obedience to our testimony. They see us as something to be scorned and laughed at.

Maybe we’re making some progress.

But can you hear how my attitude drifts toward the wrong question again? This passage isn’t about the word “power” or that other word – “martyr.” The emphasis of a middle voice in the greek is usually passive. The emphasis isn’t on us – it’s on the one doing the work on us, and through us. The emphasis is on the Spirit who has been promised, and who has been given, and who will accomplish a work through us. One of my greek experts the other evening described it as a “lead pipe cinch” – its a certainty. And any time a phrase is in the future tense – “you will receive” and “you shall be” – in the greek, the emphasis is always on the future action, and not on the outcome of the action.

Well, I’m quite certain that’s more greek than you wanted to hear – and none of you are obligated to say “It’s all greek to me” on your way out the door. What I do want you to go out the door with is this – When we get our eyes too focused on ourselves, we end up asking the wrong questions. We belong to Christ. We were bought with a price – paid for with His precious blood. We’ve bought into the concept – at least to the point of trusting Jesus for our salvation. The question isn’t when Jesus is going to restore the kingdom, or when Jesus is going to return, or even when we’re going to get our heavenly rewards. The question for the moment centers on the issue of our witness, and the power that will be given to us – this Holy Spirit of God. When we receive that kind of power, serving Christ is no longer a burden. It is a privilege. And it’s not so much something we do, as it is the definition of who we are.

It turns out that the angels who showed up after Jesus was transported into the heavens asked the best question. “Why are you standing here?” We might ask the same question of ourselves, as 21st century believers. Why are we standing here? As power filled, Holy Spirit empowered people – how can we fail in fulfilling Christ’s declaration of our purpose? How can we not be witnesses? It is our purpose, and it is our very definition. We are Christ’s witnesses.

“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Richard W. Dunn, PhD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home