The Cornerstone Pulpit

Offering edited sermons from the pulpit of Cornerstone Baptist Church in Enid, Oklahoma.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Call

15th Sunday after Pentecost

Exodus 3:1-15; Matthew 16:21-28; Romans 12:9-21

One of the benefits of spending time in the blogging world is noticing the responses of people to Christianity. Most of the people I read and hear from are either overtly Christian in their orientation, or at least have a working knowledge of, if not a standard appreciation for the teachings of Christ and the role of the church in our world today.

But I run across some other folks – folks for whom the call of Christ and His church are a bother and a burden. Many are the walking wounded – they speak of ways in which the church has harmed them over the years. They speak of instances in which the church denigrated them, or shamed them in their faith journeys. They speak of times in which God has “deserted” them, or let them down in some other way. They are the walking wounded.


You and I understand them – Many of us would testify that the church has harmed us in some way in the past, and if we were really honest, that we were disappointed in God from time to time. For we, too, are the walking wounded. But there is a difference – you and I have found a place of sanctuary - a place of redemption - a place of recovery – a place of a new orientation.

I am trying to develop a ministry with this second group of people. This last week, I responded in an e-mail to one young lady who expressed her deep frustration with the church. She had been burned – badly – and her response was both typical and predictable. She had just moved into what, for her, was safer territory. And that territory was nowhere near the church. Interestingly enough, while her experiences had shaken her faith, they had not terminated it. She still perceived of herself as being one who seeks after God. Now, though, she has abandoned what should be the best tool for the person of faith – her church. In my response to her, I attempted to encourage her to seek another congregation – because I know something that I hope she comes to know – all congregations of faith pilgrims are not alike.

I read a sermon this week by Larry Bethune. Three years ago, in his sermon on these passages
[1], He delineated between those in this life who are merely tourists, and those who are pilgrims. He said, “A tourist makes a trip for his or her own personal satisfaction. A pilgrim understands the journey as a spiritual quest. The purpose is not just to see and to enjoy, but to receive and to absorb, to do something good, to find your destiny, to draw closer to God, to leave the world better for your having been here. The tourist seeks only what entertains or amuses or relaxes. The pilgrim remains alert because any experience on the way may turn out to be an encounter with the Holy One in thinly veiled disguise. For the tourist, people and sites are interesting diversions. For the pilgrim, the world is imbued by the Divine presence and filled with mystery and miracle and grace. The tourist deals in superficials, but for the pilgrim, the inward journey is as important as the outward journey and must always occur simultaneously. In other words, the tourist goes everywhere but gets nowhere while the pilgrim journeys even while staying in one place.”[2]

In other words, those who see themselves as pilgrims in this life generally have a knowledge of the “call” of God. Moses had a sense of call. The disciples heard and responded to Christ’s “call.” Paul had a “Damascus Road” call. Even Jesus experienced what He sensed as the “call” of God on His life. Pilgrims in this life do not hesitate to place themselves in the company of these and many others.

You have noticed that the two subjects that are mentioned most in Christianity are gratitude and obedience. Even in most of my sermons – you know, the ones that deal with community – even those sermons wed our twin responses of gratitude and obedience. We speak of gratitude for what God has done for us, and we speak of obedience as a conscious, lifetime response to God’s grace.

Our scriptures this morning, if taken in succession, indicate a progressive movement in our faith pilgrimages. We move from faith to faith, and in that movement, we deepen and broaden our expressions of gratitude and obedience.

Let me offer some illustrations – and the illustrations come from our scriptures. The Old Testament story we heard a little while ago was the story of Moses when he encountered the burning bush. In my educations classes back in college, we talked about the stages of learning – all of my teachers will remember this – when you want to teach someone something, first you have to get their attention. There are lots of ways to get someone’s attention. Do you remember hearing about the Mennonite farmer who sold his mule to the local preacher. The preacher brought the mule back after just a couple of days, complaining that the mule wouldn’t do a thing. “When he’s stopped, I can’t get him to go, and when he’s going, I can’t get him to stop.” The old farmer went around to the front on the mule, looked intently into his eyes, and then reached down and picked up a 2X4, and “Whack!!” Nailed that mule right across the forehead, dazing him. Then the mule started listening to what the farmer told him to do. The preacher, being a gentle man, said, “Why’d you do that?” And the farmer said, “I had to get his attention.” There are lots of ways to get someone’s attention.

God got Moses’ attention by this bush that was burning. God was in the bush – God is always in the thing that gets our attention. God told Moses that he understood the plight of his people, and that He had chosen Moses to help him deliver those people from Egypt. Moses said, “BBBBBut I I I Sttttuttter.” Besides, they want to kill me back in Egypt. “I’ll be with you, Moses. The eternal ‘I Am’ – I will be with you.” Moses received the call. He eventually practiced obedience, even though he dragged his feet all the way.

When we listen to the Old Testament prophets declare the glory of God, and offer their thanks to God, what they had to say seems rudimentary to us today. What they had to say was rather “matter of fact” – “God is God, and you’d better obey.” By the time David came along, he understood in greater detail our calling, and the manner in which we express gratitude to God. “Oh give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples. Sing to Him, sing praises to Him. Speak of all His wonders. Glory in His holy name; let the heart of those who seek the LORD be glad.” He did a better job with expressing gratitude, and David taught us, and continues to teach us better, more complete and mature ways to express gratitude and obedience.

Then we come to our gospel story for today – Jesus and Peter. Jesus introduces Peter to a new concept – service. And the service that Jesus intended to perform was death. He asked this of Himself, He eventually asked it of His disciples, and He asks it of us. In order for us to practice true obedience to Christ, we die to self. Now, that’s a progressive revelation that they didn’t teach me when I was 8 and 9!! I didn’t start to hear talk about taking on the cross of Christ until I was older.

And the examples of how we die to self – well, look at what Paul had to say. “Love completely. Give preference to each other. Persevere in tribulation and persecution. Contribute your money, whether you agree with how it’s being spent or not. Don’t be haughty – rather, be lowly of stature among all men. Never pay back evil for evil – never take revenge.” Enough, Paul. You’re wearing us out with these examples of behavior – behaviors we haven’t mastered, and we’re not sure we want to master.

As pilgrims, in the pursuits of expressions of gratitude and offerings of obedience, we progress. Our experience is progressive. You and I do not express gratitude the same as we did 15 or 20 years ago. We are learning how to express our gratitude. We do not practice obedience the way we once did – we are constantly learning how. Sometimes we regress – but we commit again to the task, only to discover again the truth of the gospel story, applied to our lives.

I read a second Larry Bethune sermon this week. In it, he said, “Grace and calling are not the contradictory messages they appear to be. Not at all! When you realize that Jesus' love for us is expressed most of all in his invitation that we be 24/7 in following him, that we recognize every place and every person and every moment is holy, pregnant with the presence of a good and loving God, then it makes perfect sense. Jesus' gifts and his demands are the same thing. Spirituality and life are the same thing.”
[3]

I had already looked at the scriptures when Pat Robertson made his ill advised statement earlier in the week. In my blog
[4], I was not very gracious to him – I’m still learning how to practice Christian grace toward those who create so much havoc in the very place in which I am trying to spread the gospel. I confess that I tire of fundamentalist teaching which insists upon obedience as a means to a change of heart. Jesus taught things the other way around. Jesus taught that when He changes our hearts and our minds, obedience and gratitude are natural outflows of that inward change.

We don’t always practice the hymns, but the choir rehearsed the hymns this last week in choir rehearsal. I told them that one of the reasons I wanted them to rehearse the hymns was that I intended to make a point from two of the hymns this morning. A couple of the boys on the back row snickered, and then reminded the rest of us that you as a congregation pretty much expect me to make a point every week. We do have a good time in choir. Anyway, the point that I want to make is this. For the most part, you and I have to deal with religious zealotry and other forms of fundamentalism more as we would something pesky or tiresome or merely bothersome. It is the rare occasion that fundamentalism seriously harms us. But for us, the day to day concern which would be ours in terms of this “call” of God is this – with what kind of attitude will I respond to God’s call. That really is our greater concern.

And that’s where the two hymns come in. You noticed we sang “Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken,” followed by “I Then Shall Live.” Listen again to the words, and I suppose, the attitude expressed in the first verse of each of these hymns.
Jesus, I my cross have taken,
All to leave and follow Thee;
Destitute, despised, forsaken,
Thou from hence my all shalt be.
Perish every fond ambition,
All I’ve sought, and hoped and known;
Yet how rich is my condition,
God and heav’n are still my own.[i]


That has a rather somber tone to it, don’t you think. Now listen to the first verse of the other hymn.

I then shall live as one who’s been forgiven;
I’ll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father;
I am His child, and I am not afraid.
So greatly pardoned, I’ll forgive my brother;
The law of love I gladly will obey.[i]

Can you sense the difference in the tone of the song? I tell you, I’ve been a Christian for nearly 40 years now, and I can say that things have changed for me. Where I was once taught, and practiced, that Christian obedience, and I suppose Christian gratitude, for that matter, were dour, obligatory practices, I have learned that just the opposite is true. Expressions of gratitude and personal obedience to Christ are wonderful opportunities to share in the relationship that is mine as a result of the grace of Christ. Gratitude and obedience are not burdensome tasks to be performed – they are joyous outgrowths of the call issued to me by our Lord.

“Well, preacher – you’ve thrown a lot of stuff at us this morning – what shall we leave with?” It’s a fair question. I would say three things – you knew that was coming, didn’t you. First, it is evident to me that the scripture indicates that we are all called. Not just Moses, not just disciples, not just Paul – we are all called. Second, practice the grace of Christ that allows for this progressive revelation in our lives. Give yourself, and then give others, the opportunity to become all that God intends for you and them to become. And then, finally, live as pilgrims. Understand the holy mystery of this calling which is ours in Christ Jesus. Share your gratitude freely and humbly, and serve Christ while serving others with joy and privilege.


[1] http://www.ubcaustin.org/sermons/20020901.htm - “Travelling Mercies” - Larry Bethune, Sept. 1, 2002, University Baptist Church, Austin, Tx.
[1] Ibid.
[1]
http://www.ubcaustin.org/sermons/19990829.htm - “24/7” - Larry Bethune, August 29, 1999, University Baptist Church, Austin, Tx.
[1]
http://sojourningpilgrim.blogspot.com/2005/08/they-just-dont-get-it.html
[1] “Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken” – text by Henry F. Lyte, arr. By Hubert P. Main
[1] “I Then Shall Live” – Text by Gloria Gaither, Music by Jean Sibelius (Finlandia).


Richard W. Dunn, Ph.D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home